Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Traveling While On P90X3

After only 7 days of P90X3, my work schedule called for me to travel out of state for 4 days. From day 1 of P90X3, I was planning how I would deal with this bump in the road.

Here's how I dealt with staying committed to P90X3 while traveling. If you're on P90X3 and have to travel, perhaps some of these tips can help.

- P90X3 allows a rest day every 7th day. My travel day fell on day 8 of P90X3, so I just swapped the day 8 workout for my rest day.  Therefore, while I was flying and getting settled in my destination, I didn't have to worry about a workout. For my return flight, I again used a rest day.

- Because my travel had me in a different time zone, I chose to get up and work out first thing in the morning. Even though I was working out at 5:30am MT, my body thought it was 7:30am ET, so it was fairly doable. I knew that by the time I got home from work at 5:30pm MT (7:30pm ET), I would not feel up to a workout.

- Luckily, the workouts that I would need to do were pretty travel-friendly. X3 Yoga and Agility X require no equipment. So I planned to complete those as the schedule dictated and packed those DVDs in my suitcase.

- X3 Yoga was very easy to do while in the hotel room. Throw down a towel and knock out the yoga.

- Agility X was a little more complicated. It does require tape on the floor, which I packed from home and used on the hotel room carpet. However, I was placed on a 3rd floor room, meaning all the jumps and running required in Agility X made me self conscious for my neighbors beneath me... especially at 5:30am local time. I modified by not jumping as much, which did weaken the workout a little bit, but I'll make up for it in the next Agility X workout.

- Eating while traveling is always a challenge. I had packed some protein bars and almonds, and tried to have soup and salad when possible. And I kept my water bottle full and with me at all times.

- Rest and rejuvenation are important. I had a few extra hours at the airport on the way home and got a chair massage at Xpress Spa. If you ever get the opportunity for one of these chair massages, take it. I've had two in the past year and they are THE best massages I've ever had in my life.

- Walk, walk, walk. I wear a pedometer every day and aimed to hit 10,000 steps, especially on the days I was flying.

Overall, I accomplished my P90X3 travel goals and resumed my scheduled workouts upon arriving home with no problem.  The key to maintaining fitness while traveling is to plan ahead as much as possible. Luckily, the P90X3 system makes workouts fairly portable.

Two weeks in - still on schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment